RE: HTML Code for "Greater Than or Equals to" Symbol

Subject: RE: HTML Code for "Greater Than or Equals to" Symbol
From: "Ridder, Fred" <Fred -dot- Ridder -at- Dialogic -dot- com>
To: "'Steven J. Owens'" <puff -at- netcom -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 19:06:18 -0500

What you describe are the text versions of the HTML character
entities for "less than" and "greater than". These entities are
sort of official, in the sense that they are part of the HTML standard
but they are *not* supported by all browsers. What are more
universally supported by browsers are the numerical versions
of these entities, which are &#60; for the "less than" character
and &#62 for the "greater than" character.

But you should note that what Leslie Grimm originally asked
for was the "greater than or equal" symbol, which is *not* part
of the 8859-1 character set. For that matter, it's not part of
the Windows character set in any text font. In Windows, you
have to resort to a symbol font to get the "greater or equal"
character (character #0179 in the Symbol font) or the "less
than or equal" character (character #0163 in the Symbol font).
Note that these Windows character numbers map to a
superscript 3 and the Pound Sterling symbol in most text fonts.

Fred Ridder
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic, an Intel Company
Parsippany, NJ