RE: opportunities in dist ed course design or library science

Subject: RE: opportunities in dist ed course design or library science
From: "Lorraine Kiewiet" <Lorraine -dot- Kiewiet -at- mullinconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 08:10:46 -0700

This almost belongs in the thread with out of work Tech Writers. I got
into computers and tech writing because I could not find a good job as a
librarian when I moved to California in 1979. I got my Master's in 1974
and worked for the Connecticut State Library for 4 years before my
husband's job took us to California. Prop 13 meant that governments
(chief employers of librarians) were cutting back and not filling open
positions.

My degree in Library Science has always served me well on the job.
Research skills, wanting to understand users, love of the written word,
organizing information -- all are things that draw people to
librarianship in the first place. About the only thing I don't get to do
on the job that I'd be doing if I were still a librarian is reading
stories to kids sitting in a circle. I do miss that.

Don't expect to make any bigger bucks as a librarian, it's all about the
work.

--Lorraine

Lorraine Kiewiet
Senior Technical Writer
(213) 488-8728
lorraine -dot- kiewiet -at- mullinconsulting -dot- com

MULLIN CONSULTING, INC.
A Member Firm of M Financial Group - Securities offered through M
Holdings Securities, Inc., a Registered Broker Dealer, Member NASD/SIPC
Los Angeles - Chicago - New York - Minneapolis
Headquarters: 644 S. Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017 Tel:
(213) 488-8500 Fax: (213) 624-0850
www.mullinconsulting.com

The materials are designed to convey accurate and authoritative
information concerning the subject matter covered. However, they are
provided with the understanding that Mullin Consulting, Inc. does not
engage in the practice of law, or give legal, accounting or asset
allocation advice. For advice in these areas please consult your
appropriate advisors.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l