Re: credit check for interviews

Subject: Re: credit check for interviews
From: "Jeff Hanvey" <jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:55:35 -0500

> That much said, a credit check isn't that unusual. You can't buy a cell
phone,
> car, or any major item without one. Why then an employer, who is taking a
> bigger risk than a auto lender, not be allowed to do these checks. Hiring
> somebody is a huge risk to a firm. Bad employees cost companies dearly.
>
> Furthermore, chronic irresponsibility is something that would be obvious
on a
> credit check. And generally, people who are irresponsible with their money
will
> be irresponsible at work.

I disagree. There are many reasons why a person may have bad credit, from
identity theft to unemployment to a health crises. Like anything else,
learning to be responsible with money/credit is not innate, but learned, and
some people don't know that there is a better way. Also, people respond to
their debt in different ways: some may become desperate enough to do harm,
but others may be motivated to work hard, learn how to manage the money, and
get out of debt. In today's world, many students who graduate and enter the
job market are already at a disadvantage because they are carrying student
loan debt and credit card debt. Having been in school, many haven't had a
steady job, so the debt piles up. Should they be denied a job because of
this?

In defense though, I *can* see why a company would want to do a credit
check: with the upswing in identity theft, they need to verify that this
person is who they say they are. Also, the potential employee may bolt at
the first offer of a higher-paying position, leaving the employer in the bag
for training and other expenses related to hiring.

Personally, I agree to the check. I have nothing to hide, although I don't
necessarily like the invasion of my privacy.

Jeff Hanvey
Augusta, GA
jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk

single-source layouts, and more!