Re: References (was: Why discuss certification?)

Subject: Re: References (was: Why discuss certification?)
From: Martin Bosworth <martinhbosworth -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 08:26:05 -0400

On 8/4/05, Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com> wrote:

> I consider "references" to be any persons who can comment on my professional
> abilities and accomplishments. They do not need to be managers from
> companies at which I have worked. All that's required is that they know my
> professional abilities and accomplishments and be able to describe them
> appropriately orally or in writing.
>

> Bonnie Granat | http://www.GranatEdit.com
> bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com
> Cambridge, Massachusetts, US

Bonnie,

A problem I often encounter is that many hiring managers or recruiters
will specifically ask for "supervisory" references, i.e. managers,
bosses, project directors, etc. They're not as concerned with how you
get along with your colleagues as how well you'll take orders and get
the job done.

That bothers me on several levels, not least of which is the fact that
it's my more collegial references who are in the best position to
evaluate me as a professional, since they see me and interact with me
in our working environment on a daily basis.

BTW, why is it that so many companies these days are so restrictive
when it comes to offering references? I was once told it was due to
fear of lawsuits if someone was terminated, but if I got fired from a
job, I probably wouldn't be using anyone from that company to big-up
my skills.

Martin

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com