Re: techwr-l digest: August 05, 2005 - ISO Certification

Subject: Re: techwr-l digest: August 05, 2005 - ISO Certification
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 17:51:08 -0400

My wife took an ISO-9000 course as part of her Quality Engineering
certification. The instructor related an ISO-9000 auditing visit to
a plant. He asked one employee, "What is behind that door?" The
answer was, "I was told not to open that door." At another plant, he asked, "So what do you do with the rejected material?" "Do you
really have to know?" "Yes, you have to tell me." "We put it up
above the ceiling tiles until after the audit is over."

Management (at some level) often already knows and doesn't want
anyone to find out.

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

It would be truly wonderful if it really worked that way, but I suspect
that the most common path to improvement through ISO is that a
company seeks the certification because it has to in order to meet a
major customer's demand, until managment sees the company's
actual processes recorded in black and white and says, "We had no
idea things were that bad."
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Neeley" <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>

Those who look upon the ISO process as beneficial and who seek to
reengineer themselves as they go can get a great deal out of the
exercise.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com