Re: When you hear the Axe in the dark...

Subject: Re: When you hear the Axe in the dark...
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:51:55 -0600

Depending on what you mean by "not make waves," yes. I'm not of a
mind to do battle with management as an "advocate for the user" to
convince them we should do more documentation than they want, especially if I know they aren't going to commit to the effort necessary to do it. If they tell me what they want, I'll tell them what it's going to take to get it; if they tell me what they can commit
to in resources, I'll tell them what they can get for it. If management "fails to properly budget its resources" and the result is "an intense increase in workload" I'm not going to just roll over like a good yes man and tell staff to smile, be good worker bees and plan on sleeping in the office til its done. I'll push back to make the necessary adjustments to goals so that they're achievable without working staff to death and push for changes in planning so that it won't happen again. And if it becomes clear to me that it is going to happen again because the company isn't learning from its mistakes and isn't taking my input seriously, I probably will be leaving.

So what exactly did you find disagreeable about that? Do you *prefer* working for yes man slavedriver tech pubs managers
who happily lay all of the company's planning errors on your
shoulders?

Oh, and BTW, the people I had these conversations with? They
hired me.

Gene Kim-Eng

Which means you spoke their language. We are hired guns. We solve specific problems for a company. Gene talked to them simply in the same tone and language that they recognize from one of their own. Not only good marketing/strategy, but also shows good knowledge that the company can benefit from.

Scott