Re: Chapter-page numbering, reasons for

Subject: Re: Chapter-page numbering, reasons for
From: voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 15:46:29 -0500

So are we. Also the cover and back of the cover is not included in the page
number.

At one point, the books we produced had consecutive numbers that did not map
one-to-one with the PDF page number precisely because the cover and "front
matter" was unnumbered, and the TOC started on page 1 (print) or page 3
(PDF) (this was also an issue some years ago when we first started
publishing in PDF). This is hugely problematic with users (reviewers and
clients - not actual users of the product, since we never get feeback from
them) because some of them will reference the PDF page number and some will
reference the printed page number. The only way we (the doc department)
could reach consensus about how to avoid that problem was to go back to
chapter numbering, so we could tell the difference between the PDF page
number and the printed page number.

I've worked in all sorts of enviromnemts, but if I'm asked to provide
consecutive page numbers, I lobby strongly for the cover being page 1.

-Wendy