Automation vs. User-created

Subject: Automation vs. User-created
From: Ann Waterhouse <AWaterhouse -at- apg-neuros -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 21:59:21 +0000

First of all thanks to everyone who helped me with my search for documentation automation software. It has led me to ask this question for all the techwr-l's out there...

What are the advantages and disadvantages to having documentation completely automated as opposed to user created documentation?

Let me give you an example.... A totally automated document assembly system that takes pre-formatted and stored snippets of information to make a document is rigid and leaves little room for 'on-the-fly' customization while picking and choosing snippets allows the writer to customize the order of information and to easily omit information that may not be needed.

Your thoughts??

Ann Waterhouse
Senior Technical Writer/Redactrice Technique Principale
O: 450 939-0799 ext: 2135
F: 450 939-2115

Siège Social /Headquarters
1270, Michèle-Bohec