Re: Document tagging and metadata

Subject: Re: Document tagging and metadata
From: Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- laserpubs -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 10:46:31 -0700

sorry - meant to trim that more.
Tagging and metadata are topics that we TWs may get tangled up with, but really belong to other disciplines.
I'm wondering where you'd look first in an organization for that expertise.
(librarians and/or records management?)

On 9/26/2014 10:42 AM, Jay Maechtlen wrote:

On 9/23/2014 6:44 AM, Sweet, Gregory (HEALTH) wrote:

*Metadata and abstracts are required.

The CMS, among requiring other metadata (dates, abstract, etc.), forces content providers to tag content with information about who that content is useful to. The content providers gets to see all of their content in one place, while the content consumer gets a pre-filtered view of the data based on the tags.

* Strict implementation of tags.
* Tags presented as "folders" to users.
* There is flexibility for incrementing values.

The "folder" structure created by this approach is strictly restricted to five levels deep so no single document is ever more than 6 clicks from the homepage.

Content creators cannot create new tags on the fly but must select from the tag taxonomy, or provide a really strong use case as to why what we've provided will not work.

We are flexible on tags that should increment. For example so documents should be tagged by year. No one need request a 2015 when 2015 arrives, we simply increment the tag as necessary.

I am curious about the tags - I suspect it was a non-trivial effort to create/determine those.
Was that done in collaboration with other groups?

--
Jay Maechtlen
626 444-5112 office

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l