Re: Customers that make their own docs

Subject: Re: Customers that make their own docs
From: Charlotte Claussen <charlotteclaussen -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2021 21:35:57 +0000

I'm curious about this as well.

In one company I worked for we have had customers creating their own
materials based on ours, but we have never had them fed back to us. It just
meant that we needed to work in formats that can be used with the
customers' tools, for example providing visuals in a PowerPoint
presentation rather than InDesign or creating an MS Word output of our
Flare source on request. It would always be the customers' own
responsibility to update their own documentation.

I'm wondering if it would make sense to make customized documentation a
product? I would personally not like to be responsible for syncing up with
something I can't control. I'd prefer to deliver a service where I'd
collaborate with the customers and keep control of the processes and the
source files, thinking that tools are a minor concern compared to the
challenges of coordinating and keeping everyone aligned.

What is the reason that customers' customized documentation has to be
managed by your company rather than by each customer respectively? Does
that have to do with the portal for tracking results? (I'm not sure I
completely understand how it works so forgive me if I'm asking stupid
questions)

/Charlotte