Statistics on doc's reduction of help desk calls?

Subject: Statistics on doc's reduction of help desk calls?
From: Faith Weber <weber -at- EASI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 10:55:23 -0800

Hi everyone,

Do any of you have any statistics handy on how documentation
products, particularly online help, can reduce help desk calls?

I know this is a common lament, but it's difficult to convince
others of the value of good documentation/help in overall support
of the product. Right now I have the opportunity to participate
in some discussions (headed by the product support/training
manager) re: the best ways to get information about products to our
clients. Since this manager is in charge of the help desk and
training, naturally these are the most important areas in his
mind. I feel improved documentation and online help can help him
dig out his understaffed group, but he doesn't seem to take it
seriously. For example, the SME is given credit for "creating" the
documentation, when in fact he's giving me procedural info he gets
from testing the software, and I'm writing the documentation
(organizing it, filling in the gaps, etc.) not to mention relieving
him of the painful process of DTP, printing, etc.

My manager (the VP of engineering) will back me up in this if I
ask him to, but if anyone can provide some hard data on the
subject (or references to same), it would be a big help.

TIA, and thanks for listening!

Faith Weber
EA Systems Inc.
weber -at- easi -dot- com