Re: chapter-based numbering

Subject: Re: chapter-based numbering
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 12:37:16 MST

Arlen Walker made the following comment on the practice of
page-numbering chapters independently, such as

1-1, 1-2, 1-3, new chapter: 2-1, 2-2, 2-3...

Can I say that I *hate* that practice, as a user? I know all
the production advantages of it. But truth is, it makes it
much more difficult to find things in the manual.

[excellent examples clipped]

Bravo! Arlen, you're the first person I've heard to complain
about this, but I suspect there are many, many more who feel as
you do. I agree with you completely. It does nothing but add an
extra layer of navigation to get to the desired page number.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=