Typeover mode, sort of: creature of habit I am, yes!

Subject: Typeover mode, sort of: creature of habit I am, yes!
From: Patrick O'Connell <titanide -at- MICRO -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 00:10:13 -0400

For Word for Windows (and Mac?) users the modern-day equivalent to
typeover vs. insert mode is: typing with text selected overwrites the
selected text, or puts the new characters in front of it.

I didn't realize how used to the 1st option I had become until I needed
to finish typing a job-related document, in a MAJOR rush (interview same
say). With (aiieeeee!) the LAN about as inoperative as it can be.

The person whose system I ended up borrowing preferred the "other" mode.
Frustration is not the word! Funny how we become habituated to and
dependent on the TINIEST things, ain't it?

Oh, and about the / character -- I've always called it foreslash or
slash, but to my dad (just turned 50, or is about to) it's a strophe
("o" pronounced as in "mode").

Patrick Brian O'Connell
Intermediate writer at a Canadian computer-industry company in
Montreal, Quebec, which company I shall never again name in a techwr-l
posting. Let's just say I'm...looking.
<<===Still figuring out what to put in my new .sig. Stay tuned.===>>