Re: Distributing Postcript Files for Viewing

Subject: Re: Distributing Postcript Files for Viewing
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 10:02:35 -0400

>It has been suggested to me that I could save my FrameMaker files
>as PostScript files, as one would do to send them to a service
>bureau, and give our customer this PostScript file with the hope
>that they can use a freeware PostScript viewer program to look at
>the files.

>Is this a plausible approach? Have any of you ever distibuted
>PostScript files to a customer for them to view?

Yes. I produced a CD booklet in FrameMaker on a Mac.

The folks who had to review it had a variety of computer types and software
applications. I sent them page proofs in the appropriate format on the
appropriate type of disk. But, since I didn't want them to change the
original files, I saved it as a Postscript file (one of the options in the
Print dialog of all the apps), then locked the file in the Finder.

The client reviewers could print the file on any Postscript printer and do
the review with hardcopy. They could, in many cases, copy the file into
their word processor or DTP package, and edit the -new- file
electronically. But they couldn't alter the original.

Worked very well.

@Kat_____ Kat Nagel
MasterWork Consulting Services Rochester, NY
LIFE1 (techwriting/docdesign) katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
LIFE2 (vocal chamber music) PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com