File name or filename?

Subject: File name or filename?
From: Keith Soltys <ksoltys -at- DJTTD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 13:57:04 GMT

I am revising our departmental style guide. I've been using varous sources
for this, including "The Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical
Publications", "The Chicago Manual of Style" and IBM's internal style guide.

My question is about the usage of file name. Is it "file name" or "filename"?
(As in, "The file name is symbols.exe."

The IBM guide says to use file name, the Microsoft guide says use filename.

Both books use "filename' in the sense of a placeholder, as in, "Type the
command: del filename."

Although I have a personal preference for "file name", it seems that
"filenmae" is now the more common usage.

Does anyone want to comment on this?

Regards
Keith

Keith Soltys -- ksoltys -at- djttd -dot- com -- http://www.io.org/~ksoltys/
Technical Writer, Technical Development, Dow Jones Telerate Canada Inc.
Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you;
if you don't bet, you can't win. --Robert A. Heinlein