Didn't "set out" to be a tech writer

Subject: Didn't "set out" to be a tech writer
From: Matt Danda <dandam -at- GATOR -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:33:35 -0500

Hello:
I forgot the original title of this thread, but it was regarding how people
tend to "fall into" tech writing rather than "set out" to be a tech writer.

I originally wanted to be a business executive working in international
corporations on high-profile projects. But I decided to lower my sights and
secure a steady job in computers, where I eventually found "my place" as a
software techical writer.

From the perspective of a typical Business major, tech writing probably
seems like a boring profession. Of course, the irony of the situation is
that now I am in a "hot" and lucrative profession working in a
multi-national setting for a major corporation, and I am exposed to all
sorts of interesting projects, corporate "adventures" (sometimes approaching
soap-opera caliber), and real-life decision-making situations.

If I would have completed the Business degree instead of the liberal arts
major, today I would probably have a dull, predictable job (IMNSHO) in
something like insurance or retail management.

Funny how life works, eh?

Matt Danda
Technical Writer, specializing (this year, ho-hum) in Software Development
and Technical Marketing in Multi-National Environments.

Matthew Danda
Technical Writer
Sony Objective Composer (Europe)

Home: dandam -at- gator -dot- net (in Gainesville, Florida)
Work: matt -at- sonytel -dot- be (in Brussels, Belgium)