Survey

Subject: Survey
From: Kamal Eljabaly and Martha Lee <lnxs685c -at- LYNXUS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 18:37:22 -0400

Hi All,

I'm doing research on the working relationship between technical writers and subject matter experts. I created two surveys, one for tech writers and one for subject matter experts. This is for a course at North Carolina State University, but it's of personal interest to me because after this semester, I'll be out there looking for a job.

I'm posting both surveys. If you know a subject matter expert that would be willing to do the survey, I'd appreciate it if you could pass it on. Thanks.

Survey for Technical Writers

This survey is designed for technical writers who collaborate with subject matter experts. If you fit this category, please answer the following questions and e-mail your response to lnxs685c -at- lynxus -dot- com.

  1. How long have you been a technical writer?
  2. Are you a contract writer or do you work for a company? If you work for a company, what type of company is it?
  3. How often do you work with subject matter experts?
  4. What aspects do you like about working with subject matter experts?
  5. What aspects do you dislike?
  6. In your opinion, what is the technical writer’s role when interacting with subject matter experts?
  7. What can subject matter experts do to make the process easier?

Survey for Subject Matter Experts

This survey is for subject matter experts (engineers, programmers, etc.) who work with technical writers. If you fit that category, please answer the following questions and email your responses to lnxs685c -at- lynxus -dot- com.

  1. What is your present position?
  2. What type of company do you work for and how long have you worked there?
  3. How often do you work with technical writers?
  4. What aspects do you like about working with technical writers?
  5. What aspects do you dislike about working with technical writers?
  6. In your opinion what is the technical writer’s role when working in collaboration with a technical expert?
  7. What can a technical writer do to make the collaboration process easier?