Vertical lines in screen captures

Subject: Vertical lines in screen captures
From: "Metzger, Lucinda" <cmetzger -at- DUKANE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 16:26:49 -0500

Hi, all. I'm having some problems with my screen captures. And of course
I'm on deadline so I'm hoping someone can provide an answer in the next
day. I've searched through the archives and fiddled with things quite a
bit on my own, but haven't been able to find a solution.

I'm working on a couple software manuals, with plenty of screen
captures. Some are from a Win 95 application, some are from a Win 3.11
application (don't ask). One app uses the default Windows color palette,
one app uses a custom one. In both apps, I get the screen captures by
displaying the dialog box, pressing Alt-Print Scrn, then pasting into
the Windows Paint Accessory. I then save the capture as a BMP file and
import it into my DTP program (Ventura 8, running in Win 95). This is
the method I've always used.

The problem is that when I print the manuals, there are vertical lines
running through the screen captures. At first I thought it was because
I've had to reduce some of the captures to 75%, but the lines still
appear when I print them at 100%. The lines aren't visible when I look
at the captures on my monitor -- only when I print. The lines don't
appear if I print the captures from Windows Paint at 100%, but they do
appear when I print them from Corel PhotoPaint at 100%. I've tried
saving the files as 16 colors, as 256 colors, as TIFF, as PCX, you name
it, and nothing makes a difference. What am I missing here????

Cindy (cmetzger -at- dukane -dot- com)
who is afraid I'm missing something incredibly obvious, but hey, my
brain turned to pudding two days ago...

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=