Subject: Summary: Need working-at-home advice
From: Shawn Wilson <shawn -dot- wilson -at- IDSNET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:55:39 -0700

Dear Techwhirlers:

I asked the list how, as a telecommuter, I would handle the problem of
solitude. (I hadn't planned on working at home, myself, but I may want to
broach the subject with my boss someday.) About a dozen responses were
directed to me, so I thought I'd compile them. Thanks! (Many respondents
made more than one suggestion.)

Four recommended occasionally talking on the phone to co-workers at the
office or to friends (assuming that your friends can chat while at their
jobs)

Three said to go into the office at least once a week. As a tech writer
you'll probably need face-time and meetings with onsite workers anyway.
Working lunches are okay too.

Two said to make lunch dates with friends . The telecommuter likely has the
more flexible schedule.

Four said to play music, TV, or National Public Radio in the background.
(Not something that would work for me, but valid for many.)

One said "Get a cat".

Similarly, two respondents have pets, and at least one is married, which
means they never face spending 24 hours alone.

And two said "What problem? Solitude is the best part!" I'm glad it works
for you, guys.

* PS: Gilles Cassin also said "Make clear for your friends that
you're at home but not sick, so they don't have to pop in any time, it
troubles your work." I wouldn't mind having friends like that; mine are all
at their own jobs during the day.

Shawn Wilson
Technical Writer
310-478-4015 x289